Anger Management focuses on helping individuals recognize and manage their anger and its manifestations. We take time to acknowledge that anger serves an important purpose. It is our defense and shield. It is also a chief emotion that warns us when things are wrong. However, as much protection as it gives, anger has also hurts us and our relationships.
Anger Management provides an opportunity for participants to further understand their anger response, and in doing so learn new skills that replace the damaging ones. Clients and therapists work together to identify and understand problems as they relate and interact to our thoughts, feelings and behaviors.
By acknowledging the triggers and emotional wounds surrounding them, we are able to communicate what we are looking for to others. Anger Management sessions incorporate cognitive behavioral, systemic and psychodynamic therapy.
Goals of Anger Management
- Understand the roots of anger
- Develop self control through awareness over thoughts & actions
- Receive support, ideas and feedback from others
- Stop violence or threat of violence
- Learn practical skills to deal with/manage anger
- The focus is on the here and now issues.
- The problem or issue-in-living the person is experiencing is learned.
- These developed anger responses was learned, and therefore, they can be unlearned.
- Individuals have tried many ways to solve their problem—all to no avail.
- In developing these new skills one can improve interpersonal relationships.
This course is separated into ten sessions. Each session provides the participant with information about Anger Management.
- Defining the person’s uses anger
- Physiology and effects on individuals perceptions
- Significant Belief systems
- Impulsive Reactions and there consequences
- Cultural views and misconceptions of anger
- Misleading usage of anger
- Effective Communication skills
- Domestic Violence and it’s harmful effects
- Prevention and intervention of re-emerging anger signs
- Strength based evaluation of personal goals and strategies